There are signs you should look for when considering either a commercial roofing repair or a replacement. When a roof is beginning to lose its quality, there’s evidence that shows signs of wear. But not all roofs are created equal—worn roofs show damage differently, depending on the type of roof your business has.
Types of Commercial Building Roofing
There are three types of commercial roofing options:
- Full Roof Removal and Replacement
- Overlay of the existing roof system with a New Roof System
- Renovation of the existing roof system by use of a Commercial Coating System
It’s time to replace or recover your roofing system if your commercial roof is showing signs of:
- Water leaks
- Damaged flashings
- Damaged roof membrane
- Aged and weathered roofing materials
If your roof is damaged but hasn’t reached the expiration date of its life expectancy, considering a commercial roofing repair rather than a replacement is something worth thinking about. When deciding to either move forward with a replacement or repair, determine if the repair costs are more than 35% of the cost of a new system. If that’s the case, it’s time for a replacement.
Roof Life Expectancy
Every roof type has a different lifespan. The first step in determining when your roof needs to be replaced is to find out what type of roof you have on your building. Flat roofs are the most common type of commercial roofing. Here are some general life expectancies for common flat roof types:
- PVC Roof System: 20-30 years
- TPO Roof System: 20-25 years
- Asphalt BUR Roof System: 20-30 years
- Coating or Liquid-Applied Roof System: 15-20 years
How long a roof lasts has a lot to do with the flat roof’s material and installation.
How Often Do Flat Roofs Need Replacing?
Here are some life expectancies for specific flat roof types:
- PVC and TPO Single-Ply Roof: 20 years; the seams will last longer than the surface material
- Asphalt Built-Up Roofing: 20 years; lifespan depends on the number of plies and quality of the asphalt
- Standing Seam Metal Roof: 20-30 years but shorter if exposed metal edges are subject to salt-air conditions where rusting can be accelerated
- Modified Bitumen Rolled Roof: 20-30 years; depending on the type of asphalt modifier used and thickness of the membrane itself
If your commercial building’s roofing system is reaching the end of its life, considering a new roof now rather than later will prevent the beginning signs of damage, and ultimately, save you time and frustration due to leaks and repair costs.
If you’re unsure of your roof’s current condition, C.I. Services can inspect it now for no additional charge, so you don’t have to worry about it later. Our experienced roofing professionals will look at your property, take photos for our records (and yours), and determine what the best-practice roofing solution is for your needs.
Commercial Building Roof Repair
Our goal is to keep your commercial building roofing system in quality condition for as long as possible. We want business owners to get the full roof life expectancy out of their system, so completing necessary repairs as soon as they happen can prevent further wear and tear.
We offer three options for your roofing repair needs:
- Basic Roof Repair and Maintenance
- Basic Roof Winterization
- Emergency Roof Repairs
Whether you’re preparing for the winter storm season or simply maintaining your roof, C.I. Services knows the roofing business. Our technicians can quickly develop the right solution for you. Our goal is to ensure you don’t pay for a repair or replacement you don’t need.
Replace Your Flat Roof With C.I. Services
If you’ve concluded that a roof replacement is what you need, C.I. Services has you covered. With 25 years of experience under our tool belts, deciding the best roofing system solution for your business needs is like second nature. We provide a quality product at an affordable price, and with every product, you can count on us to deliver a quality solution.
Contact us today to schedule your complimentary inspection.